Leah Benson, LMHC
Meet Leah Benson
“When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.”
If you ever wondered why therapy doesn’t work, read on.
From my perspective, therapy is composed of 3 main elements:
Functional work can be described as the tools I use to work with you. And ultimately, they will be the tools you use to take care of yourself. They include bioenergetic exercises, cognitive behavioral therapy, neuro-linguistic programming, somatic psychology, gamma charge releasing exercises, resistance-release bodywork, mindfulness techniques, and meditation. In short, these are the tools I use to work your emotional muscles.
If you omit any one of these 3 elements in therapy, it will fail you.
Don’t get me wrong, you can progress using any one of these elements. And sometimes in a crisis, all you need is one of them.
But to truly free yourself from a pattern you repeat over and over again in your life, you must engage all 3 elements.
What qualifies me to do this work with you?
I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in Tampa, Florida. My formal education includes an Ed. M. and an M.A. in Counseling Psychology from Columbia University in New York. And I have been practicing psychotherapy and psychology in the Tampa Bay area continuously since 2001.
In addition to my credentials as a Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC), I am certified in the following:
- Nationally Certified Counselor (NCC) by the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC)
- Certified Bioenergeic Therapist (CBT) by the International Institute for Bioenergetic Analysis (IIBA)
- Certified Adoption Competent Counselor
- Licensed practitioner of neuro-linguistic programming (NLP), Dr. Richard Bandler Certification
- Certified Forensic Mental Health Evaluator (CFMHE)
My memberships include:
- Florida Society for Bioenergetic Analysis
- International Institute for Bioenergetic Analysis
- Suncoast Mental Health Counselors Association
- National Board of Forensic Evaluators
- United States Association for Body Psychotherapy
Most importantly, I practice what I preach. My personal practice includes:
- Completed 10 years of psychoanalysis.
- Completed 4 years consistent personal bioenergetic work during Bioenergetic Training.
- Maintain an on-going relationship with my analyst for consultation as needed.
- Engage in ongoing personal work at bioenergetic conferences multiple times per year.
- Engage in ongoing personal practices of bioenergetic exercise and mindfulness meditation.
- Monthly consulting/mastermind session with other bioenergetic psychotherapists.